Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 22: Rehab

I was talking to a friend this weekend. We were talking about decisions and regrets. I had asked another friend of mine if he believed the term regret referred to a mistake that was made because that is always how I have perceived the word. His belief was not that it referred to a mistake but essentially you were saying you were sorry for what you had done weather good or bad.

God said in Samuel that he regretted setting Saul on the throne. You see, God was sorry for what He had done. Now I am not sure about my next thought process so feedback is requested. If God was sorry that He had put Saul on the throne and God doesn't make mistakes, does that mean God didn't know what choices Saul was going to make as a king? Isn't that absolute freedom? Being free of Gods foresight? Not that God couldn't see the future choice but He may have chosen not too? I don't know about this that is why I am writing about it.

I have talked a lot about choice we make and realize now that regrets don't matter. Why have regrets? I mean, you can't change the past. What happened happened and it is unchangeable. We will never know the outcome of the choice we didn't make. We only know the outcome of the one we did make so why worry about the other?

So for day 22, I accomplished the following:

No Drinking (which I have not even been tempted with since I started this thanks to God)
No Smoking
P90X Exercise
No Lying
No Dates
Bible Reading (I have not missed a day and I am still on track)

Changes:

I am starting to take it one day at a time. On the P90X video, the trainer says, "come on! its only 30 seconds! You can do anything for 30 seconds!" I love this outlook. You really can do anything for 30 seconds. So why not live the next 30 seconds of your life for the next 30 seconds of your life? If you tackle a day that way then you aren't nearly as discouraged.

I have to break these ninety days down that way. I have to take it one day at a time. If I viewed it as 90 days then I get overwhelmed. But if I view it as today, It is much easier. This is the only way I can view my situation. I am in recovery and need to have little victories. This is the only way to encompass my my rehab.

3 comments:

  1. "And the LORD was grieved that he had made Saul king over Israel." 1 Samuel 15:35b NIV

    I think you're remark of absolute freedom is correct. We have complete freedom to chose whatever path we wish. We also chose whether we want God to lead or not.

    This is my theory - our "life map" is like a tree. The trunk represents where we start: our mom and dad had to come together to make us, we had no choice in the matter. Where the branches start is where we start making decisions, the choices that will affect and direct our lives forever. God knows where each path will lead and I believe he favors a certain path(or several) to other paths. And we know that God wants the best for us "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11, NIV.

    So my take on 1 Sam 15:35 is that God was sad that Saul was turning away from him. He had such high hopes for his boy Saul, and just like any parent, he was distraught when Saul began making bad decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    Shawndra shared your blog with me and I am glad she did. Haven't been tempted to cry in a while but reading where God has brought you and the journey you are on with Him bought welling tears. I am so inspired by reading as well as proud of you. And I appreciate that you are putting it out there for others to be encouraged by!

    I have to comment on Saul and God's regret. I have been personally intrigued with prayer and our ability to influence happenings; weather it be positive or negative, in or outside of God's original plan or desire for our lives. All things considered, I believe that prayer allows God to act outside of what would normally be considered the rules of "free choice" on the part of the human. So since neither God nor Satan can overstep our choice, prayer enables them to act while keeping it in the playing terms of choice.
    The people wanted a King, Begged for a king. And as i see it God obliged them even though it feel out side of His plan for their best.
    This leads me to the ponder the element of "You're will be done" being added to the end of our prayers no matter how bad we want/don't want said outcome.
    Anyway the really cool part of that story, to me, is that even thought their choice led them away from God -He didn't abandon them. He worked for them, stayed on their side and helped them through even their poor decisions.
    I am not very good a writing my thoughts clearly but to summarizing I guess God loves us individually so much that he grants us our desires even though they may not be His ideal for us.....

    I don't know. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, In response to your thoughts on God being able to work outside of free will at the request from a prayer, I think you may be on to something there though (and I am basing all opinions at this point from what I have read of the Bible during this journey, no previous knowledge) God doesn't show evidence of this thought to this point (I am in Kings).

    Check out Day 25 for my response.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment sharing what struggles, successes, ideas, or thoughts!